This article is about a non-fiction entity related to the Astronist belief system or the Astronic tradition.
Any article relating to a fictional entity will be clearly marked as being part of the Spacefaring World.
For the immediate family members and other relatives of Cometan, visit the Family members of Cometan.
For the genealogical ancestry of Cometan, visit Genealogy of Cometan.
The ancestry of Cometan, or Cometanic ancestry, is the branch of Cometanology dealing with the ancestral lineage and relational contemporaries of the founder of Astronism. It is a twin branch to Cometanic descendantry which studies the descendants of the founder of Astronism.
Main article: Ancestral investigation phase
Cometan's endeavours to understand his ancestral lineage can be split into distinct phases or time periods with each phase possessing different themes and topics of interest.
|Title||Period||Theme and topics covered|
|Ancestral Investigation Phase One||March 2019 – July 2020||Exploring Cometan's immediate maternal and paternal ancestry, establishment of the eight major Cometanic ancestral lines, identification of Cometanic ancestors going back to medieval times.|
|Ancestral Investigation Phase Two||October 2020 – June 2021||Moon family emigration and life as Mormon pioneers, Cometanic ancestry stretching back to ancient times, identification of historical or otherwise notable figures in Cometanic ancestry.|
|Ancestral Investigation Phase Three||July 2021 – 19th October 2021||A much clearer delineation of the direct lineage of Cometan stretching back to 16the century in most lines; a focus particular to Cometan's paternal ancestry which had previous seen a lack of attention; development of the Cometanica Archives to compile all Cometan's ancestral information in one place as part of the broader Grand Astronist Archives.|
|Ancestral Investigation Phase Four||20th October 2021 – 6th January 2022||The fourth Ancestral Phase began when Cometan met with his Auntie Therese and received many photos from his paternal ancestry and also received a copy of Derrick Taylor's Sceptre Bulletin Interview. Another job to complete is collecting the birth and death certificates of various ancestors in order to either confirm dates or to gain further information, such as cause of death.|
|Ancestral Investigation Phase Five||7th January 2022 – 25th March 2022||A new phase of ancestral investigation was launched by Cometan after confirming that much of his paternal grandfather Derrick Taylor's ancestry he had made mistakes with, thus causing new branches of his ancestry to have to be formed. This phase was filled with much greater information and photographs about the lives of Irene Mary and Derrick Taylor as well as Cometan's discovery of a large collection of newspaper clippings from his great-aunt Monica.|
|Ancestral Investigation Phase Six||26th March 2022 – present||Phase six of Cometan's investigations into his ancestry began following a third visit to his great-aunt Monica's of 2022.|
There are five different classifications:
- Contemporary of Cometan – those individuals alive at the same time as Cometan.
- Ancestor of Cometan – those individuals in the 3rd and 4th generation retrogrades.
- Distant ancestor of Cometan – those individuals in the 5th generation retrograde and earlier.
- Medieval ancestor of Cometan – those ancestors of Cometan recorded as having been born before 1453 and as such, lived in whole or in part during the Middle Ages.
- Notable ancestor of Cometan – non-grandparental ancestors of Cometan considered of particular interest and notability by the Institution.
The Astronist Institution is conferred with the responsibility of studying Cometanic ancestry and classifying individuals as Cometanic ancestors. Below are the current number of ancestors of Cometan
- Ancestors of Cometan =
- Distant ancestors of Cometan =
- Notable ancestors of Cometan =
Also split between core and peripheral:
- Core ancestors = 1,138 (direct line ancestors, recognised ancestors, notable ancestors)
- Peripheral ancestors = 10,000+ (non-direct ancestors e.g. aunts, cousins, unrecognised ancestors)
- Verified DNA Matches to Cometan (extended family and distant relatives) = 10,836
- Richard Hardacre, father of Irene Mary Taylor
- Edith Hardacre, mother of Irene Mary Taylor
- Frederick Taylor, father of Derrick Taylor
- Ellen Stringfellow, mother of Derrick Taylor
- Elizabeth Alice Turner (1886 - 1970), grandmother of Hilda Warbrick.
- Elizabeth Farnworth (c. 1867 - c. 1949), great-grandmother of Hilda Warbrick.
- Jane Cottam (née Turner) (1909 - 1942), the mother of Hilda Warbrick.
- Raymond Turner, the half-brother of Hilda Warbrick.
- Joseph Turner, the grandfather of Hilda Warbrick.
- Richard Cottam (1904 - 1954), the father of Hilda Warbrick.
- Nicholas Cottam, the grandfather of Hilda Warbrick.
- Mary Cottam, the grandmother of Hilda Warbrick.
- Elizabeth Prescott (née Moon), the grandmother of Bill Warbrick.
- John Moon, the father of Elizabeth Prescott.
- Agnes Moon, the mother of Elizabeth Prescott.
- Mary Warbrick (née Prescott), the mother of Bill Warbrick. Married Henry Warbrick.
- Joseph Prescott, the father of Mary Warbrick and hence, the great-great grandfather of Cometan.
- David Prescott, the father of Joseph Prescott and hence, the third great grandfather of Cometan.
- Elizabeth Warbrick (1868 - 1899), grandmother of Bill Warbrick. William Warbrick (1861 - c. 1933).
- John Lancaster, the great grandfather of Bill Warbrick and hence, the third great-grandfather of Cometan.
- Isabella Lancaster (1846 - unknown), the great grandmother of Bill Warbrick.
- Henry Warbrick (1896 - 1972), the father of Bill Warbrick.
- William Warbrick (1861 - c.1933), the great-great-grandfather of Cometan.
- James Warbrick (1822 - unknown), the father of William Warbrick and hence, the third great-grandfather of Cometan.
- Ellen Warbrick (née Tootell), the mother of William Warbrick.
Main article: Cometanic family line
A family line is a unit of vertical classification used in Cometanic ancestry to denote the eight main lines of ancestry derived from the great-grandparents of Cometan. The eight family lines of Cometan include:
Paternal family lines
- Hardacre family line
- McKerney family line
- Stringfellow family line
- Taylor family line
Maternal family lines
- Cottam family line
- Prescott family line
- Turner family line
- Warbrick family line
Main article: Generation retrograde
A generation retrograde is a unit of horizontal classification in Cometanic ancestry used to divide ancestors of Cometan into groups according to the generation to which they belong.
List of generation retrogrades
- 5th generation retrograde
- 6th generation retrograde
- 7th generation retrograde
- 8th generation retrograde
- 9th generation retrograde
- 10th generation retrograde
- 11th generation retrograde
- 12th generation retrograde
- 13th generation retrograde
- 14th generation retrograde
- 15th generation retrograde
- 16th generation retrograde
- 17th generation retrograde
- 18th generation retrograde
- 19th generation retrograde
- 20th generation retrograde
- 21st generation retrograde
- 22nd generation retrograde
- 23rd generation retrograde
- 24th generation retrograde
- 25th generation retrograde
- 26th generation retrograde
- 27th generation retrograde
- 28th generation retrograde
- 29th generation retrograde
- 30th generation retrograde
- 31st generation retrograde
- 32nd generation retrograde
- 33rd generation retrograde
- 34th generation retrograde
- Anastasia Arrowsmith –– married Jack Arrowsmith, descendent of Saint Edmund Arrowsmith, a Roman Catholic priest and one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales.
- Edward Southworth –– English poet.
- Harry Prescott –– English World War One soldier.
- John James Warbrick –– English wheelwright and undertaker.
- Thomas Warbrick –– English World War Two sapper killed and buried at Salerno Beach, Italy.
- Thomas Warbrick –– English cotton weaver and Ministry of Defence policeman
- William Warbrick –– English wheelwright
Ancient ancestors of Cometan
In the study of Cometanic ancestry, one of Cometan's paternal lines stretches back to ancient times and includes the following famous figures:
- Magnus Maximus
- Saint Elen
- Anna the Prophetess
- Brân the Blessed